Query related to TTL & files in Alluxio

Ramu M S
Hi,

Documentation for TTL indicates that setting TTL affects files in Alluxio FS & UnderFS as well. Can we just evict from memory after a specified time & not from underFS?
There is free command to evict from Cache, but didn't find anything like free after a specified time

Regards,
Ramu

Re: Query related to TTL & files in Alluxio

Jiří Šimša
Hi Ramu,

This functionality is currently not available, but I can see it being useful. What API do you use for setting the TTL value and how would you like to express the fact that a file should be freed instead of deleted?

Best,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Ramu M S <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Documentation for TTL indicates that setting TTL affects files in Alluxio FS & UnderFS as well. Can we just evict from memory after a specified time & not from underFS?
There is free command to evict from Cache, but didn't find anything like free after a specified time

Regards,
Ramu

Jiří Šimša

Re: Query related to TTL & files in Alluxio

Ramu M S
We use both CLI & FileSystem API to set the Ttl.

I can think of the following 2 ways to achieve this,

1. CLI: With the existing setTtl, we can have another argument indicating that action is delete/free
2. FileSystem: Add ttlAction as another option, along with Ttl. We would need this in File

Do we have a JIRA for this? Or should I create one?
I can volunteer to work on this JIRA.

Regards,
Ramu

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:31 AM, Ramu M S <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-CLGv9ODAAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">ramu....@...> wrote:
Hi,

Documentation for TTL indicates that setting TTL affects files in Alluxio FS & UnderFS as well. Can we just evict from memory after a specified time & not from underFS?
There is free command to evict from Cache, but didn't find anything like free after a specified time

Regards,
Ramu

Jiří Šimša

Re: Query related to TTL & files in Alluxio

Ramu M S
Jiří Šimša,

We use both CLI & FileSsytem APIs to set Ttl.

We can allow user to specify ttlAction (both via CLI & Options through FileSsytem APIs), that can be either delete/free & can default to delete.
Do we have a JIRA for this? I can volunteer to work for this.

[...]

Thank you for the description.The solution you propose makes sense and I would be happy to shepherd your contribution. Please create a JIRA for this and post the link to it here. Thanks!

Best,