Not able to setup alluxio.

Robin Kuttaiah
Hello,

Am new to alluxio.

I have a use case of key value store within my spark application and hence I have chosen alluxio based on
https://github.com/Alluxio/alluxio/blob/master/examples/src/main/java/alluxio/examples/keyvalue/KeyValueStoreOperations.java.

All we have is docker images.

Hence am following
https://www.alluxio.org/docs/1.6/en/Running-Alluxio-On-Docker.html

Alluxio tar used - alluxio-1.7.1-bin.tar.gz.

I have two issues;

1. Created docker image as below;
cd alluxio-community-1.7.1-<hadoop distribution>/integration/docker
docker build -t alluxio --build-arg ALLUXIO_TARBALL=alluxio-1.7.1-bin.tar.gz .

This fails with /bin/sh: apk: command not found for "RUN apk add --update bash"

2. I commented above command and I was able to start master using
docker run -d --net=host \
             -v $PWD/underStorage:/underStorage \
             -e ALLUXIO_UNDERFS_ADDRESS=/underStorage \
             alluxio master

But when I start the worker it fails.
Reason - Below does not set properly.
export INSTANCE_PUBLIC_IP=$(curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/public-ipv4)

what exactly that http url is? Am not able to ping it as well.
It says
Cannot Connect
The proxy could not connect to the destination in time. Please verify the site you are attempting to access and retry.
Please advice on how to proceed.

thanks,
Appreciate your help in advance.

Re: Not able to setup alluxio.

Andrew Audibert
Hi Robin,

That documentation page is a tutorial for running Alluxio open source. There is a similar documentation page for running community edition at https://www.alluxio.com/docs/community/1.7/en/Running-Alluxio-on-Docker.html. The tutorials expect that you are running on an EC2 instance. For other environments, you'll need to tweak one or two commands. For example the command
export INSTANCE_PUBLIC_IP=$(curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/public-ipv4)
is a convenient way to get a machine's public IP address from within EC2. If you are running outside of EC2, replace that line with
export INSTANCE_PUBLIC_IP={{Your machine's IP address}}
I'm having trouble reproducing the apk issue you mentioned - can you share more details, as well as the updated Dockerfile if you've made any changes to it?

Hope that helps,
Andrew

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 8:02 AM Robin Kuttaiah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the support.

I use Oracle Linux Server release 7.4.

The only change I did for the docker file is, for Java, I used image created out of Oracle JDK8(jdk) instead of the openjdk:8-jdk-alpine.

FROM jdk

RUN apk add --update bash && \
    rm -rf /var/cache/apk/*

ADD ${ALLUXIO_TARBALL} /opt/

# if the tarball was remote, it needs to be untarred
RUN cd /opt && \
    (if ls | grep -q ".tar.gz"; then tar -xzf *.tar.gz && rm *.tar.gz; fi) && \
    mv alluxio-* alluxio

COPY conf /opt/alluxio/conf/
COPY entrypoint.sh /

ENTRYPOINT ["/entrypoint.sh"]

regards,
Robin.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:06 PM, Andrew Audibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks with you help am able to setup alluxio and the tests are passing.

I have below questions:

1. I used export INSTANCE_PUBLIC_IP=10.196.54.241, please note you have enclosed with two curly braces   {{Your machine's IP address}}. I hope I have placed correctly.

2. What is the difference between open source and community alluxio? I created the image without license from alluxio-1.7.1-bin.tar.gz as shown below;
docker run -d --net=host \
             -v $PWD/underStorage:/underStorage \
             -e ALLUXIO_UNDERFS_ADDRESS=/underStorage \
             alluxio master
What is the impact?

3. Am still assuming my use case of key value store can be achieved from spark application.

4. Since my use case is to store key value pairs into alluxio from spark application, do I need to do any spark+alluxio integration? If yes, can you please provide me the documentation available?

5. What is the licencing process for using this in our application which would go live in production?

regards,
Robin Kuttaiah.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM, Andrew Audibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

1. INSTANCE_PUBLIC_IP=10.196.54.241 is correct

2. Community edition goes through a longer testing period and may contain a few more bug fixes. You should be fine with open-source 1.7.1.

3. I'm not familiar with the Spark key-value API, but it could work to use key-value through the hadoop InputFormat/OutputFormat API. These docs should help.

4. See the Spark + Alluxio doc for information about how to make the Alluxio client available to Spark. I don't know of docs specifically about key-value though - maybe someone else can comment on this.

5. See the license for details about how Alluxio can be used.

Regards,
Andrew

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:54 AM Kuttaiah Robin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your patience and help. This is the best timely support I got  in my career.

regards,
Robin.