Is ssh required?

Bill Graham
Do the workers have to ssh to the master if the configs have been distributed? My workers are failing to ssh to the master and I'd like to avoid setting up ssh keys if possible.

thanks,
Bill

Re: Is ssh required?

Andrew Audibert
Hi Bill,

ssh is not required. Alluxio only uses ssh for convenience if you want to start Alluxio on multiple nodes with a single command.

Are you running alluxio-start.sh all or alluxio-start.sh masters from the worker node? That could cause the worker to try sshing to the master so that it can start it. I don't think there are any other situations where a worker would try to ssh to the master.

If you are managing the orchestration of starting and stopping Alluxio services through a 3rd-party tool, it's easier to use singular commands like "alluxio-start.sh worker", "alluxio-start.sh master", etc. so that no ssh is attempted.

Hope that helps,
Andrew

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:11 PM Bill Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do the workers have to ssh to the master if the configs have been distributed? My workers are failing to ssh to the master and I'd like to avoid setting up ssh keys if possible.

thanks,
Bill

Re: Is ssh required?

Bill Graham
It's the format call that is trying to ssh I see. When starting the workers we were doing this:

./bin/alluxio format
./bin/alluxio-start.sh -w

and masters and workers file both have localhost, so ssh to localhost was attempted. What's the correct way to initialize local storage on a worker that doesn't cause ssh before calling start for the first time?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:36 PM Andrew Audibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, forgot about format - format will try to ssh to all workers and masters to format them.

To format individual workers, use

./bin/alluxio formatWorker

To format individual masters, use

./bin/alluxio formatMaster