Is it possible to use "s3cmd" without s3 under fs?

Is it possible to use "s3cmd" without s3 under fs?

Jihoon Oh
Hello, I just have been tested alluxio by docker container.

I'd like to test compatibility with s3 cli.
Of course, the s3 client (REST APIs) are work well.

But i wanna s3cmd tool.
So I install s3cmd on ubuntu,

$ s3cmd mb s3://test
ERROR: S3 error: 405 (HTTP method PUT is not supported by this URL)

I did not use s3 by under fs.
Is it works only for s3 underfs? OR s3cmd is not supported?

Re: Is it possible to use "s3cmd" without s3 under fs?

Jihoon Oh
https://www.alluxio.org/docs/1.7/en/Configuring-Alluxio-with-S3.html ,

There is a sentense, "Alluxio recognizes the s3a:// scheme and uses the aws-sdk to access S3"

This means, "If you use s3 command, you must use s3 under fs" right?

Re: Is it possible to use "s3cmd" without s3 under fs?

Jihoon Oh
- Alluxio 1.7.1
- Just ubuntu 16.04 with NFS
- NFS
- Yes
- Ubuntu 16.04
- JAVA 1.8

Re: Is it possible to use "s3cmd" without s3 under fs?

Gene Pang
Hi Jihoon,

Thanks for the question. I am not familiar with s3cmd. For what purpose are you using that tool?

Could you describe your environment and use case a little more? Are you trying to use the the S3 api of Alluxio?

Thanks,
Gene