Call for opinions on depreciating conf property "alluxio.site.conf.dir"

Call for opinions on depreciating conf property "alluxio.site.conf.dir"

binfan
Administrator
Hi Alluxio users,

I am working on simplifying Alluxio configuration system for the coming v1.8 release,
I am proposing to depreciate the property "alluxio.site.conf.dir" which allows the users to set
a list of paths so Alluxio can search for "alluxio-site.properties" under this list of paths.

Currently its default value is "${alluxio.conf.dir}/,${user.home}/.alluxio/,/etc/alluxio/".
I am wondering how useful in reality for uses be able to overwrite the above value (v.s. always search this list of paths)?
Removing this property will help simplify the configuration logic.

In case you are are interested in what I am doing, here is my work-in-progress PR (https://github.com/Alluxio/alluxio/pull/7308) on github.

- Bin

Re: Call for opinions on depreciating conf property "alluxio.site.conf.dir"

Gene Pang
Hi Bin,

Thanks for simplifying the configuration!

I think the "default" value actually make it confusing, because that means there is an implicit set of paths all clients will look in to get configuration. If for any reason there is a config file in one of those directories, it would be picked up, which could be confusing to applications.

I almost think that it could be useful to have the default empty, so clients which want to configure using a config file can do so by explicitly creating the file, and configuring the client to read that file. This way, it is very clear where configuration is being read from.

If we completely remove the config file mechanism, how would a client over write a config parameter?

Thanks,
Gene

Re: Call for opinions on depreciating conf property "alluxio.site.conf.dir"

Bin Fan
Thanks Gene,

I think having Alluxio searches at least "${alluxio.conf.dir}/" is convenient.
it will support passing "-D alluxio.site.conf.dir=/foo/bar" on client to pick up conf in `/foo/bar/alluxio-site.properties`

- Bin